Simple Frozen Birthday Party


Instead of the wild, elaborate, outrageous party that we are used to having with 30 kids in attendance, we opted for a VERY small [playdate] party with the twins' closest 4 friends, in exchange for a "Frozen inspired bedroom" (shown in another post) that they can enjoy all year, plus a day trip to Disney World. (We live close and have annual passes.) It was so worth it!
 

So, while I don't have anything too impressive to post, here are a few of the simple things I did to make this year's birthday party a hit - even if it was just for 6 little girls. They had a ball. I started by ordering party favors 3 weeks in advance just to be safe... and guess what? They arrived 1 week AFTER the party. Awesome. Thanks for nothing, Amazon. So, the night before the party, I ran up to Target and bought 4 Frozen books and some plastic tiaras. Whatever. They still loved them. The original party favors were the Little Golden book version of Frozen, Frozen stickers, and cute snowflake bags.


Next, it was time to decorate. We turned our Little Tykes play house into "Wandering Oaken's Trading post and Sauna. I just cut out two pieces of cardboard and colored them with a Sharpie and crayons. I glued some cotton balls for snow and hung some keychain rings on them. NBD.



... and of course we couldn't forget Olaf! We put him by "the fire"
(faux fireplace) to warm up.


The living room was not "Pinterst-worthy"and sparsely decorated with hanging snowflakes and a few sparkly door curtains. The dining room, also sparsely decorated, but still cute.

I hung some pink, purple and light pink streamers and attached them to the chandelier. I still had the plastic "royal backdrop" from the Princess party 3 years ago, and taped that to the wall. Time for Cupcakes!

This was my original idea for the cupcakes and while they are cute, completely organic (I used natural food coloring) and gluten-free, it just wasn't cute enough. So, I decided to make each of the twins their own personal cupcake for their favorite Frozen character. Here is Anna's royal cupcake. It was so little but adorable and delicious. Looks just like the movie, right? The best part was, I only had to make 3 of them!

Amazon sells this cool food-grade silicone, called ComposiMold, that you can melt and make a mold for anything. I busted off the arms of a little prince toy that was already missing his legs. Within in few minutes, I had a perfect mold for these little chocolate busts for cupcake toppers. I inserted a lollipop stick to hold it in place on the cupcake.

Here's the poor guy, upside down in the molding gel. First, I hot-glued him to a popsicle stick and hot-glued any holes where the arms and waist had been. After placing him in the Composimold and gently shaking it around a little to release bubbles, I placed a shot glass on top to hold him down. This was a bad idea, because when I put it in the fridge, the shot glass fell off. I ended up just putting a big piece of tape across the stick and onto the cup.


Now, for Elsa's cupcake: I started with (good tasting, gluten-free) chocolate cake in a silicone flower pot mold. Flip it over and use a paper towel roll to cut just the right angle out.


I made a few extra for this one, just in case. But, I only needed 3 Elsa cupcakes. Don't worry, I took care of the extras. ;) This is just the top of the cupcake. I plopped these little mountain tops on top of chocolate cupcakes. Then, I added delicious organic cream cheese icing. I got a cheap chocolate castle mold on ebay and made little white chocolate castles. I think they turned out perfect.



But, what to wear? I got some fabric and blindly made some coronation costumes that I think turned out really freakin' awesome!



The activities for the party included:

...And now, for the grand finale of the party; I cued up the "Let It Go" scene/song on YouTube, all the girls belted out their best vocals and just at the right moment, I MADE IT SNOW IN THE LIVING ROOM.





Snow Angels, of course, on the carpet.

Snow refill
It was actually pretty simple to do. I will say, this would probably be best on hard flooring. I have berber carpet, so I was able to sweep (most of) it up to make it snow about 10 more times. When we were finished we vacuumed it up.
















I purchased two bags of fake snow confetti at the party store (5 months before the party). I taped little, paper salad plates on the fan blades and filled them with about 2 cups of snow confetti. Turn the fan to low or medium and you've got snow! So, not including the costumes, the party cost me about $40 since I used a lot of party decor that I had from previous years.

See, you can have a great Frozen birthday party without breaking the bank!

Labels:

My Secret Vanilla Life: Simple Frozen Birthday Party

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Simple Frozen Birthday Party


Instead of the wild, elaborate, outrageous party that we are used to having with 30 kids in attendance, we opted for a VERY small [playdate] party with the twins' closest 4 friends, in exchange for a "Frozen inspired bedroom" (shown in another post) that they can enjoy all year, plus a day trip to Disney World. (We live close and have annual passes.) It was so worth it!
 

So, while I don't have anything too impressive to post, here are a few of the simple things I did to make this year's birthday party a hit - even if it was just for 6 little girls. They had a ball. I started by ordering party favors 3 weeks in advance just to be safe... and guess what? They arrived 1 week AFTER the party. Awesome. Thanks for nothing, Amazon. So, the night before the party, I ran up to Target and bought 4 Frozen books and some plastic tiaras. Whatever. They still loved them. The original party favors were the Little Golden book version of Frozen, Frozen stickers, and cute snowflake bags.


Next, it was time to decorate. We turned our Little Tykes play house into "Wandering Oaken's Trading post and Sauna. I just cut out two pieces of cardboard and colored them with a Sharpie and crayons. I glued some cotton balls for snow and hung some keychain rings on them. NBD.



... and of course we couldn't forget Olaf! We put him by "the fire"
(faux fireplace) to warm up.


The living room was not "Pinterst-worthy"and sparsely decorated with hanging snowflakes and a few sparkly door curtains. The dining room, also sparsely decorated, but still cute.

I hung some pink, purple and light pink streamers and attached them to the chandelier. I still had the plastic "royal backdrop" from the Princess party 3 years ago, and taped that to the wall. Time for Cupcakes!

This was my original idea for the cupcakes and while they are cute, completely organic (I used natural food coloring) and gluten-free, it just wasn't cute enough. So, I decided to make each of the twins their own personal cupcake for their favorite Frozen character. Here is Anna's royal cupcake. It was so little but adorable and delicious. Looks just like the movie, right? The best part was, I only had to make 3 of them!

Amazon sells this cool food-grade silicone, called ComposiMold, that you can melt and make a mold for anything. I busted off the arms of a little prince toy that was already missing his legs. Within in few minutes, I had a perfect mold for these little chocolate busts for cupcake toppers. I inserted a lollipop stick to hold it in place on the cupcake.

Here's the poor guy, upside down in the molding gel. First, I hot-glued him to a popsicle stick and hot-glued any holes where the arms and waist had been. After placing him in the Composimold and gently shaking it around a little to release bubbles, I placed a shot glass on top to hold him down. This was a bad idea, because when I put it in the fridge, the shot glass fell off. I ended up just putting a big piece of tape across the stick and onto the cup.


Now, for Elsa's cupcake: I started with (good tasting, gluten-free) chocolate cake in a silicone flower pot mold. Flip it over and use a paper towel roll to cut just the right angle out.


I made a few extra for this one, just in case. But, I only needed 3 Elsa cupcakes. Don't worry, I took care of the extras. ;) This is just the top of the cupcake. I plopped these little mountain tops on top of chocolate cupcakes. Then, I added delicious organic cream cheese icing. I got a cheap chocolate castle mold on ebay and made little white chocolate castles. I think they turned out perfect.



But, what to wear? I got some fabric and blindly made some coronation costumes that I think turned out really freakin' awesome!



The activities for the party included:
  • Pin the nose on the snowman (Dollar store find. I didn't bother having a giant poster of Olaf printed. I know, bad mommy.)
  • Snowball toss (wadded up paper tossed into a basket and then at each other)
  • Cut out paper snowflakes
  • Elsa & Anna Light (Like, Red Light-Green Light, but for Elsa you FREEZE.)
  • Sven Ring Toss (a cardboard cut out of Sven's head with plastic rings)
  • Coronation dancing Freeze dance

...And now, for the grand finale of the party; I cued up the "Let It Go" scene/song on YouTube, all the girls belted out their best vocals and just at the right moment, I MADE IT SNOW IN THE LIVING ROOM.





Snow Angels, of course, on the carpet.

Snow refill
It was actually pretty simple to do. I will say, this would probably be best on hard flooring. I have berber carpet, so I was able to sweep (most of) it up to make it snow about 10 more times. When we were finished we vacuumed it up.
















I purchased two bags of fake snow confetti at the party store (5 months before the party). I taped little, paper salad plates on the fan blades and filled them with about 2 cups of snow confetti. Turn the fan to low or medium and you've got snow! So, not including the costumes, the party cost me about $40 since I used a lot of party decor that I had from previous years.

See, you can have a great Frozen birthday party without breaking the bank!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 29, 2014 at 8:03 PM , Anonymous Joanna said...

I would love to know how you got the lettering done on the wandering oakens trading post sign i am trying to do something like this but i am nowhere near as talented as you any advice would be appreciated

 
At September 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM , Blogger My Secret Vanilla Life said...

Honestly, I just paused the movie where it shows the sign and did my best to copy it free-hand with a Sharpie marker.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home